Branching Out: Diversity of Jewish Studies
Twelfth Congress of the European Association for Jewish Studies – General terms and conditions
Article 1. General
1. These Terms and Conditions apply to:
a. every person registering as a participant or attendee or in any other capacity is present at the Congress (hereafter referred to as “Registrant(s)"),
c. sponsors, and
for the twelfth EAJS congress “Branching Out: Diversity of Jewish Studies" (hereinafter “the Congress") to be held in Frankfurt in 2023, organized by the Department of Jewish Studies at Goethe University together with the Gesellschaft zur Förderung judaistischer Studien in Frankfurt am Main e.V., a foundation by the Law of Germany, (hereinafter “the organizers").
2. All references to a date or a deadline, mentioned in these Terms and Conditions and on other Congress documents, refer to the time zone of Germany.
Article 2. Registration and Payment
1. Submission of a registration form is regarded as a firm booking and acceptance of these Terms and Conditions, however the booking will not be confirmed until full payment has been received.
2. Registrants must pay immediately upon registration via bank transfer or paypal, as directed.
3. Congress registrations will not be confirmed until the completed registration form and the payment in full is received and processed by the organizers. Access to the Congress will not be permitted if full payment has not been received.
4. If a registration is accepted, a confirmation email will be sent to the Registrant.
5. Registrants should obtain confirmation from the organizers before making travel arrangements.
6. After a Registrant's registration is completed, the organizers reserve the right to review the information provided by the Registrant and adjust the registration ticket type and fee if it is found that the information provided by the Registrant has been misrepresented, incomplete, false or incorrect. Any adjustment to fees will be charged directly to the payment method on file or as otherwise requested by the organizers.
Article 3. Travel expenses, visa costs and lodging arrangements
1. Accommodation costs are not included in the Congress registration fee.
2. Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors are responsible for their own visa costs, travel expenses and their own lodging arrangements.
Article 4. Cancellation
1. If circumstances change and a Registrant can no longer attend the Congress, the Registrant may cancel his registration by providing written notice to the Congress Secretariat: email@example.com.
2. The percentage of refund will be 80% of the paid Congress registration fee for cancellation on or before 31 May 2023, minus the costs of the financial transaction fees. Cancellations received after 1 June 2023 will not be refunded.
3. If a Registrant does not cancel and fails to attend the Congress, this will be treated as a cancellation and no refund or credit will be issued.
Article 5. Speakers
1. Views expressed by speakers are their own. The organizers are not liable for advice given, or views expressed, by any speaker at the Congress or in any material provided to the Registrants.
2. The organizers may use the speaker's name and presentation materials for promoting attendance at the Congress. Presentations and papers including all associated artwork and illustrations will not be returned unless specifically requested by the author. The papers must be objective and completely free of advertising and commercialism.
Article 6. Photographs, Publicity Material, Video, And Print Media
The organizers reserve the right to use any photographs, recordings, electronic images, or other publicity material obtained in the Congress. The organizers have the right to include photos and videos of Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors for marketing and publicity without compensation.
Article 7. Admittance
In its sole discretion and without refund, the organizers reserve the right to refuse admittance to or expel from the Congress anyone that it determines is behaving in a manner that could be disruptive to the Congress or any other Registrant, speaker or sponsor.
Article 8. Special requirements
Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors should inform the organizers (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the event of any special requirements due to a disability, food restrictions/allergies or something else the organizers should know.
Article 9. Travel-Health Insurance
1. Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors are responsible for taking out appropriate insurance coverage in connection with their attendance at the Congress. When the Registrant, speaker, sponsor or exhibitors is travelling from outside Germany, appropriate travel insurance should be purchased independently and in advance of any travel or travel bookings. The organizers strongly advise Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors to confirm if their insurance covers any force majeure events such a pandemic or new outbreak of the Corona Virus.
2. Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors are required to have health insurance to cover any medical costs they may incur during their stay. The organizers will not cover any of these costs. The organizers strongly advise Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors to take out a health insurance policy before arriving in Germany.
Article 10. Visa Requirements / Invitation Letter
It is the Registrant's, speaker's, sponsor's and exhibitor's sole responsibility to take care of visa requirements. If Registrants, speakers, sponsors or exhibitors require an entry visa, they must allow sufficient time for the visa application procedure. The registration details might be shared with the immigration authorities to assist in the immigration process. However, the organizers will not contact embassies and consulates on behalf of the Registrant, speaker, sponsor or exhibitor. To receive an invitation letter for the Congress, the Registrant must first register and pay the registration fees in full. To request an invitation letter, please contact the Congress Secretariat: email@example.com.
Article 11. Disclaimer
1. The organizers may at any time, with or without giving notice, in their absolute discretion and without giving any reason, change, modify the program, cancel or postpone the Congress, change its venue or any of the other published particulars, change the character of the Congress from physical to virtual or withdraw any invitation to attend. In any case, neither the organizers nor any of their affiliates, officers, employees, agents, members or representatives shall be liable for any loss, liability, damage or expense suffered or incurred by any person, nor will they return any money paid to them in connection with the Congress.
2. In case of cancellation of the Congress in accordance with this clause and subject to the provisions of article 13, the organizers will to its best endeavors refund the paid Congress fee to the Registrant, minus the costs of the financial transaction fees.
Article 12. Force Majeure
Neither the organizers nor any of their officers, employees, agents, members or representatives shall be held responsible for any delay or failure in performance of its obligations hereunder to the extent that such delay or failure is caused by fire, flood, strike, civil, governmental or military authority, acts of God, acts of terrorism, acts of war, epidemics, pandemics, local outbreaks of the Corona Virus or the availability of the venue. For one or more of such reasons, the organizers may postpone, reschedule or cancel the Congress without liability on the part of the organizers and any of their affiliates, officers, employees, agents, members or representatives. In the event the Congress cannot be held or is postponed pursuant to this section, the organizers and any of their affiliates, officers, employees, agents, members or representatives shall not be liable to Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors for any damages, costs, or losses incurred, such as transportation costs, accommodation costs or financial losses.
Article 13. Liability
The organizers and any of their officers, employees, agents, members or representatives, and its local organizers shall never be liable to Registrants, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors for any damages, health issues, personal injuries, costs or losses incurred.
Article 14. Final
1. The organizers reserve the right at all time to change, amend, add or remove any of the above Terms and Conditions without prior notice.
2. If one or more of the conditions outlined in these Terms and Conditions should be or become invalid, the remaining conditions will continue to be valid and apply.
3. In case of any conflict between the English version of the Terms and Conditions and any translation thereof, the English version of the Terms and Conditions will prevail.
Article 15. Law and Jurisdiction
1. These Terms and Conditions are governed by German Law.
2. In the event of any legal claims arising from either party, Frankfurt, Germany shall be the sole court of jurisdiction.
—Version March 2023